As the economy nears full employment, retailers are finding it more and more challenging to hire for open positions and retain existing employees. And while traditional methods for attracting employees are still effective, (pay rates, work environment, etc.) retailers are now starting to sell themselves as an employer of choice through new means.
One of these new means is providing employees greater control of their schedules and work-life balance.
There are many new tools and apps that cater to this new means…And many employers are embracing these apps and granting employees greater control over their schedules.
Here are 5 ways mobile apps and tools are being used by “empowered” employees:
- Swapping and/or or trading shifts with other associates
- Looking for additional shifts in neighboring stores
- Adjusting their availability/schedules
- Accessing schedules more than 1 week in advance. (In some areas, this is becoming the law, but other retailers are preemptively doing this.)
- Bidding and/or selecting preferred days/times
The bottom line…
Work-life balance is one of the most-important factors in employee satisfaction. And nothing outdoes the benefits of truly allowing and empowering employees to take control of their schedules.
Latest posts by Chris Kelly (see all)
- Measuring the Impact of COVID-19 on Retail Sales and OSA - 05/06/2020
- Connors Group – Top 5 Workforce Management Steps For Reopening - 04/30/2020
- The Future Of Grocery - 03/09/2020